Microsoft Notepad is a word processing tool included with Windows and is installed by default under the Accessories program group. You can use it to create a log-type file that adds the current date and time each time the Notepad file is opened. This article describes how to create a log file with Notepad.
To create a log file in Notepad:
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Notepad.
- Type .LOG on the first line, and then press ENTER to move to the next line.
- On the File menu, click Save As, type a descriptive name for your file in the File name box, and then click OK. When you next open the file, note that the date and time have been appended to the end of the log, immediately preceding the place where new text can be added. You can use this functionality to automatically add the current date and time to each log entry.
Article ID: 260563 - Last Review: January 27, 2007 - Revision: 2.3
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition