This step-by-step article describes how to change a GUID partition table (GPT) disk into a master boot record (MBR) disk (64-bit only).
Using the Windows Interface
- Right-click My Computer and click Manage.
- Click Disk Management.
- Right-click the GPT disk you want to change into an MBR disk, and then click Convert to MBR disk.
Using a Command Line
- At a command prompt, type: diskpart, and then press ENTER.
- At the diskpart prompt, type: list disk, and then press ENTER.
- Record the disk number of the disk that you want to convert to an MBR disk.
- At the diskpart prompt, type: select disk n, and then press ENTER.
- At the diskpart prompt, type: convert mbr, and then press ENTER.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, the network policy settings may prevent you from completing this procedure.
On Itanium-based computers, you can change a disk from GPT to MBR, provided that the disk is empty.
Article ID: 282793 - Last Review: January 15, 2006 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
|kbenv kbhowto kbhowtomaster KB282793|