Keepass.exe fails to synchronize settings with Microsoft User Experience Virtualization 1.0 (UE-V 1.0) enabled and crashes on launch. An error similar to the following will be reported in the Application log:
- Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: Application Crashing Events
Faulting application name: KeePass.exe, version: 22.214.171.124, time stamp: 0x506d455e
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18015, time stamp: 0x50b8479b
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000009e5d
Faulting process id: 0x544
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdef9d0028ee0a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\KeePass2x\KeePass.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 3dff0aaa-5b90-11e2-bb4e-005056c00008
Faulting package full name: %14
Faulting package-relative application ID: %15
A UEV debug (ETL) trace will show a pattern similar to the following:
- 03:43:05.689 01-10-2013 11 1348 10232 16 2013-Jan-10 20:43:05.689 - Orchestrator: : INFO: An updated settings data package was not found to import for settings location template KeePass.
03:43:05.689 01-10-2013 2 1348 5540 16 2013-Jan-10 20:43:05.690 - AppAgent: : SCOPE: <-- SyncSettingsFromCentralStoreToLocalStore() [Settings successfully imported]
03:43:05.689 01-10-2013 2 1348 5540 16 2013-Jan-10 20:43:05.690 - AppAgent: : INFO: Calling monitored application's main entry point.
03:43:05.767 01-10-2013 102 4636 10872 0 The Agent Driver trapped the start of process WerFault.exe (ID 9752).
This crash occurs because UE-V and Keepass.exe both attempt to load different versions of the .Net runtime into the same process space when the UE-V agent DLL is injected in to the Keepass.exe process.
To resolve this issue, complete the following steps:
1. Open Notepad.exe in an elevated context by right-clicking on a shortcut to Notepad and choosing Run as administrator....
2. Select File\New... and create or edit a file named keepass.exe.config in the same folder as Keepass.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\KeePass Password Safe 2 by default). Make sure to remove the .txt extension.
3. Copy and paste the following lines in to keepass.exe.config. If the file exists, change the <startup> tag to <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" />
<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727" />
<enforceFIPSPolicy enabled="false" />
<loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true" />
4. Save the file and exit Notepad.
5. Re-launch Keepass.exe.
for other considerations.
Article ID: 2802058 - Last Review: January 22, 2013 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft User Experience Virtualization