When you point to Send To on the File menu, or you right-click a file
and then point to Send To, the Desktop As Shortcut command may be missing.
This behavior can occur if the "Desktop as Shortcut.DESKLINK" file is
missing from the SendTo folder.
To resolve this issue, create a "Desktop as Shortcut.DESKLINK" file in the
SendTo folder. To do so, use the following steps.
- Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer or
Windows NT Explorer.
- On the View menu, click Folder Options (or Options). On the View tab, click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types (or Hide MS-DOS file extensions for file types that are registered) check box, and then click OK.
- In Windows 95/98, navigate to the Windows\SendTo folder, and in Windows
NT navigate to the Winnt\Profiles\<username>\SendTo folder, where
<username> is the name you use to log on to Windows NT.
- On the File menu, point to New, and then click Text Document. Type
"Desktop as Shortcut.DESKLINK" (without quotation marks), and then
- Click Yes, and then quit Windows Explorer or Windows NT Explorer.
Article ID: 191882 - Last Review: June 22, 2014 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition