You receive the following error message in the Microsoft SoftGrid Management Console:
A referral was returned from the server
This error message is also logged in the SoftGrid Management Console log file (Sftmmc.log).
This problem may occur when the SoftGrid Management service times out when it queries the Active Directory directory service. This time-out occurs because of "referral chasing."
In version 220.127.116.115 and in later versions of the SoftGrid Management service, you can resolve this problem by modifying the ADReferralChasingOption value. The ADReferralChasingOption values are shown in the following table.
Collapse this tableExpand this table
|All||Default. Chase referrals of either the subordinate type or the external type.|
|External||Chase external referrals. If no referral chasing option is specified for a directory search, chase only external referrals.|
|None||Never chase the referred-to server. By setting this option, you prevent a client from contacting other servers in a referral process.|
|Subordinate||Chase only subordinate referrals that are a subordinate naming context in a directory tree. The Active Directory Service Interfaces (ADSI) LDAP provider always turns off this flag for paged searches.|
To modify the ADReferralChasingOption value, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Use a text editor
Method 2: Use Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- Move to the %ProgramFiles%\Softricity\SoftGrid Management Service folder.
- Use a text editor to open the Web.config file.
- Locate the following line :
<add key="ADReferralChasingOption" value="All" />
- Enter a value in for ADReferralChasingOption based on the table in this article.
- Save the file, and then close the text editor.
- From Administrative Tools, start Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Expand server name, expand Web Sites, and then expand Default Web Site.
- Right-click SoftGridManagement, and then click Properties.
- Click the ASP.NET tab, and then click Edit Configuration.
- For Application settings, click ADReferralChasingOption, and then click Edit.
- For Value, type a value from the table, and then click OK.
- Click OK, and then click OK again.
- Exit Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
Article ID: 930974 - Last Review: May 7, 2007 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft SoftGrid for Terminal Services
- Microsoft SoftGrid for Windows Desktops
|kbexpertiseinter kbtshoot KB930974|